Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday Math Freebie - Dots and Boxes Games

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
While searching for resources for teaching scientific notation I came across a middle school version of the dot game where students were required to simplify exponents and record numbers in scientific notation. I loved this idea and wrote to the author asking if I could adapt his idea for the elementary classroom. My thanks to Kevin Koch for giving me permission to create these resources!

In this version of the dot game, students draw line segments and form boxes as usual. When they complete a box, they earn one point. However, if they complete a box with a number sentence, they must say the number sentence aloud and give the solution. Answering correctly earns a player extra points. Once all the boxes have been made, players total their scores. The player with the highest score is the winner.

The two versions I have today are for practicing basic facts, one in addition and one in multiplication. Here's what they look like.



I hope you get a chance to use these in your home or classroom. Please let me know if you try these and how you like them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment